Residence in Quarters ‘B’, as well as all the large white houses on Walnut Avenue, was restricted to senior officers.
The original Captain’s quarters, built in 1856, was brick, three stories high, and followed the design of California Senator Gwin’s home in Washington, DC. It was damaged in a 6.5 earthquake in 1898, and the current Captain’s quarters was built between 1899-1901 for $11,000. The replacement quarters share an architectural design of the late Georgian-Federal period style. Replacement quarters were of California redwood, Oregon pine, stucco, steel reinforcement; and built on the basement of original quarters.
“With the exception of the Admiral’s Mansion, Quarters ‘A’, all the quarters have the same basic floor plan and total 7,500 square feet each, which includes a partial basement. On the first floor there is a large foyer, living room dining room, butler’s pantry, kitchen and adjoining utility area, hallway, den, and powder room. There are front and back stairways. The front stairs have graceful oak balustrades, rails, and newel posts. The second floor has five bedrooms and three bathrooms. There is a partially finished bedroom and storage area on the third floor.” (Notes taken from writings by Sue Lemmon, Shipyard Historian, March 1996.)
The Captain’s mansion is available for weddings, receptions, vow renewals, etc. The cost for these events is $850 for 7 hours for use of the Captain’s Mansion. A wedding and reception combined, at either mansion would be an additional $200. For shorter time periods, there is a 3 hour minimum for events at a cost of $175 per hour. Captain’s Mansion Event Capacity: 60-70 seated at tables (downstairs). Quarters ‘B’ is Handicapped Accessible. Call Dave Smith at (707) 649-8024 for more information.