Residence in Quarters ‘B’, as well as all the large homes on Walnut Avenue, was restricted to senior officers.
The original Captain’s quarters, built in 1856, was brick, three stories high, and followed the design of California Senator Gwin’s home in Washington, DC. It was damaged in a 6.5 earthquake in 1898, and the current Captain’s quarters was built between 1899-1901 for $11,000. The replacement quarters share an architectural design of the late Georgian-Federal period style. Replacement quarters were of California redwood, Oregon pine, and stucco with steel reinforcement. It is built over the basement of the original quarters.
With the exception of the Admiral’s Mansion, Quarters ‘A’, all the quarters have the same basic floor plan and total 7,500 square feet each, which includes a partial basement. On the first floor there is a large foyer, living room, dining room, butler’s pantry, kitchen and adjoining utility area, hallway, library, and powder room. There are front and back stairways. The front stairs have graceful oak balustrades, rails, and newel posts. The second floor has five bedrooms and three bathrooms. There is a partially finished bedroom and storage area on the third floor.
The Captain’s Mansion is available for daily rental, and can accommodate a variety of functions, including weddings, receptions, and meetings. The Captain’s Mansion can accommodate 60-70 persons seated inside at tables, or up to 200 persons in the garden, and is handicapped accessible.
For Information or Reservations: (707) 557-4646